Course name: Introduction to Mental Health
Course number: PHC-273
Go through the article entitled, “Loneliness and Depression Among Female University Students During the COVID-19 Pandemic: A Cross-Sectional Study in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, 2020” in the following link: https://www.ssph-journal.org/articles/10.3389/ijph.2022.1604885/full
Answer the following questions based on the information provided in the above link:
Q1. Draw a table and mention the demographics (Age, Gender, Total participants, prevalence of discussed problem etc.) of the study. Any five variables. (5 marks)
Q2. Explain Depression. Write its symptoms. (2.5 marks)
Q3. What reasons the authors give for the loneliness of the students during the COVID-19 pandemic? (2.5 marks)
CRN 34534 Branch Riyadh-Female
Instructor name Dr. Sara Atallah Total
Grade / 10
Release Date: 02/04/2023
Due Date: 15/04/2023
Important Guidelines to answer the questions:
• Attempt all the questions.
• Do not copy answer from the website, write in your own words.
• No late work will be accepted, and no second chance will be given.
• Mention your name & ID, instructor’s name, and the date of submission before uploading the file to BB.
• Plagiarism policy: no plagiarism is accepted in the assignments at all. The student should write the assignment in their own words. Two identical assignments will be rejected with zero grades.
• Citation: The students are required to use APA style of citation in their assignments.
• The assignment should have the COVER PAGE with New SEU logo and the details of who is submitting and to whom is it submitted.
• Naming the assignment file: student should use the following format for naming and uploading their assignment: Student name (Student ID) PHC273_Assignment name
Assignments with improper names and formats will be rejected.
• Assignments should only be submitted through Blackboard only and not through email. If there is any technical issue in the BB, then it should be reported to BB support team. The screenshot of the problem and the assignment then can be sent to the instructor.
• The submission of assignment must be done before the scheduled deadline.
o Late assignments can be accepted only if the student informed the instructor before the assignment deadline is overdue of any acceptable reason of delay.
Write your answers below this point:
Q1. Table of Demographics:
Total Participants 400
Age Range 18-24
Mean Age 20.24
Gender (Female) 400
Prevalence of Depression (%) 42.3%
Prevalence of Loneliness (%) 56.5%
Q2. Depression is a mood disorder characterized by feelings of sadness, hopelessness, and a loss of interest in daily activities. Symptoms of depression may include persistent sadness, loss of interest in hobbies or activities, feelings of worthlessness or guilt, changes in appetite and sleep patterns, decreased energy, difficulty concentrating, and thoughts of suicide or self-harm.
Q3. The authors of the article suggest that the loneliness experienced by female university students in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia during the COVID-19 pandemic can be attributed to several factors. These include social distancing measures and restrictions on gatherings, closure of educational institutions and other social venues, lack of access to support networks, and increased stress and anxiety related to the pandemic and its impact on daily life. The authors also suggest that the prevalence of loneliness may be further exacerbated by cultural factors, such as the limited opportunities for social interaction and the emphasis on familial and communal relationships in Saudi Arabian society.