About 50 – 80 words per question
Please make sure to answer in full complete sentences providing details and examples. At least a couple sentences per question.
1. Explain why long-distance electric transmission lines operate at high voltages.
2. Why is the development of better energy-storage technologies a more pressing problem for the electrical energy sector than for, say, fossil fuels?
3. Some 38% of humanity’s primary energy goes into generating electricity, yet only 13% of that primary energy is consumed in the form of electricity. Explain the apparent discrepancy.
4. What’s the advantage of using alternating current on the power grid?
5. Is molecular hydrogen a fuel? A source of chemical energy? Discuss.
6. A friend argues that there’s plenty of hydrogen available for fuel-cell vehicles; just look at all the H2O in the ocean. Refute this argument.
7. How is a fuel cell like a battery? How is it different?